Sunday, October 28, 2012

Come and knock on our Moose...

...We've been waiting for you.. (sang to the tune of "Three's Company")

Ha, now that that's out of my system..

My husband, Steve, and I recently discovered a new home resale store in our area called New Uses.  We checked it out yesterday during one of our "house inspiration" trips (yes, we are that giddy about getting into the new/old house) and we're so glad we did.  Inside we found gently used furniture aplenty, knick knacks, whose its, whats its galore!  But most of all, we were glad to find this little gem..

Vanna, show us the goods...

Moose-y right BEFORE her makeover.
What is it? you ask.. Why it is a Cast Iron Moose Knocker.. for a jaw dropping bargain basement price of ten dollars!  Score!  Needless to say I was very excited for my new antlered friend and thoughts of fun paint colors started swirling in my head.

Alas, I came to my senses and settled on black.  After all, I already had thoughts of painting the front door a bright red (maybe yellow!) and a nice glossy black moose knocker would be so sharp against it.  I know what some of you are thinking, why not keep the rust bronzed and black look and love it just the way it is.  Well, I thought about that, but after much consideration, the faux bronzing just screamed "Paint me!".  So paint it black, it is!

Hammer Time!
We settled on Rust-o-leum Universal Spray paint in Black and a Hammered finish, per the suggestion of the handy worker at our local Lowe's store.  Then we set off to get started on Project Moose.

After finding a somewhat cleared area in our garage (Our garage is currently acting as a storage space for ALL of our packed/boxed items ready for the move), and finding some old cardboard as to not spray paint all over our lovely paint-chipped garage floor, Project Moose got on its way.  I do highly recommend spraying in a well ventilated area.



Unfortunately, my eagerness to get Project Moose going got the better of me and I just couldn't wait until daylight.  So I opened the garage a wee bit as to not let all the freezing winds in and let some of those toxic spray fumes out,  and in the flickering garage light, I sprayed on.


I also highly recommend covering your general nasal area with a respirator, since these fumes will get you higher than a kite.  I unfortunately did not have one on hand and in the interest of safety, went with my flannel collar and speedy spraying to get the heck out of dodge.  The project took a mere two minutes and I was breathing fresh air once more.

But even with one coat, I think Moose-y is looking much better already.  What do you think?

Moose-y AFTER makeover
I will update Moose-y's fate when she finds her permanent home in the new/old house.  I can't wait for her to fulfill her door knocker destiny.  Do you have a fun/quirky knocker adorning your front door?  I'd love to see 'em!

OH, I also found Moose-y's bizarro twin on Pinterest.  I'm kinda loving her in white, what do you guys think?  Steve will need some convincing to paint the door black/dark grey, but I think it looks pretty cool.



Follow This Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment