Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Baby Talk

Since my last post left on a nursery note, I thought it appropriate to have the next post about how we transformed our guest room into a striped jungle paradise for our wee little Olive.

mocha. yum.

Unfortunately, I could not find any before photos of the 2nd bedroom.  I'll just have to do my best describing what once was a serene and cozy chambers for our guests.  Its walls were painted a nice mocha color, with crisp white cabinets and a matching glossy white dresser and bedroom chest.  And artwork, oh the artwork. We had a queen bed complete with a baby blue and deep brown bedding.  It was nice and inviting.  We had a bit of a beach house theme, I even had a lovely starfish that I brought back home from our Hawaii trip in 2009. sigh.


The Plan: Whimsical but classic
stripes and muted beige.

Ok, moving on..  Fast forward to May of 2010, fresh from our trip to the motherland in the Philippines, we find out we have ourselves a little vacation baby!  Long story short, our beachy guestroom is now our nursery.

I've unarchived the photos below, see it from conception (har, har baby puns) to its present day decor, slowly fulfilling its baby room destiny.

We started on the room early on, I wanted to start painting before I was literally as big as our house, so neutral yellows and greens came to mind right away.  (Looking back, I kind of wish I had thought of a pastel yellow and light grey combo, so chic.)  We also wanted to keep the baby's gender a surprise, so this fell right into our neutral plan.  We also added some chair rails painted white and carried the stripes only half way down and a solid beige below the chair rails for a wainscoting effect.

Being well versed in the art of Photoshop, I came up with a plan (if you look at the mirror's reflection, you get a glimpse of what once was the guest room-- in all of its mocha and baby blue glory)

 
The plan soon evolved to turn nursery into part-time guest room. This daybed with trundle from Craigslist matched our crib perfectly.  Linens with simple circle patterns from Ikea and fleece Euro shams, sewn with love, by yours truly, make it seem cozy and inviting.  The sad-eyed puppy was my loot from a local carnival made the daybed its home for a short while.

 
 Ladder bookcase from thrift store painted a glossy white housed baby's first iPod dock, complete with my very first iPod (3rd generation. Which is a brick in comparison to current versions, and also a fortune back in the day!)  and a few other cute baby accessories, including my karaoke Jollibee mascot, a nod to my heritage and the Philippines' answer to McDonalds.  We eventually went with a classic rocking chair in lieu of the yoga ball. The fun and colorful rug is from Target, I liked how the beige in the carpet tied in with the rooms neutrality, and the bolder colors picked up the colors from her toys (Jollibee in particular)

the whole shebang.
  I wish this picture did this room more justice, but I guess you'll just have to trust us, this room was sweet enough to eat.  And yes, we had a girl! :)


Baby au Lait, please..


Follow This Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment