Thursday, November 8, 2012

knick knack, paddy whack

As a kid, I remember making sure that all of my toys always had equal playtime.  I would talk to my barbies and tell them that it was time to play with my stuffed animals because it was their turn. Somehow, I always felt like playing favorites would just hurt the other toys' feelings.  I guess I was kind of a weird kid.

Anyway, remember my post about our über cool moose knocker that we found at the new resale shop in town?  Well, I guess I forgot to talk about all the other random chach we picked up that day too, so I thought I'd mention them in this post right here.  And not because I think I hurt their feelings (I swear), but because I think they're wonderful and fun just like our moose!

First up is probably the coolest coffee cup known to man, for men.  I say for men only because the little lip protruding inside the cup is for a gentleman's moustache (mooos-stache). It's the little things that make a difference and Steve can definitely appreciate the thoughtful way this protects his Movember 'stache from his hot beverage of choice. Brilliant!

Then we found some more animals to keep the moose company while we're at work.  (I imagine them hanging out while we're gone, drinking coffee from Steve's móustache cup.)  We found a lovely ceramic yellow rooster for four whole dollars.  She's a steal and a nod to classic french country decor, but I feel the bright yellow color makes her more modern and hip to the times.  She's a perfect size and would add a great deal of kitsch to our future kitchen (ha, see what I did there..nevermind.)
I also found these super cute bird and squirrel coat hooks for $2.50 each.  I actually got these from the Land of Nod outlet, but they were a really good deal since they are quite a bit dinged up.  But that's ok, I have different plans for them in terms of paint colors.  I was thinking a lovely shade of yellow (surprise) to go with the  light grey (stripes!) that I plan to paint in Olive's new room (or the playroom)


And last, but certainly not the least... I found these amazing books, Design Research: The Store That Brought Modern Living to American Homes and Paris in Color, at the Crate and Barrel outlet for a whopping five dollars each.  Not only do they look good displayed on your coffee table, but they're also full of fun photos and interesting tidbits about design.  I just love all the beautiful pictures in Paris in Color, such great photography and each chapter is separated by, well, color.  It makes me dream of Paris.  Design Research is such a beautifully laid out book (I appreciate that having worked in publishing) and I'm a self-professed typophile, so the giant typography on the cover is quite fetching (not to mention the fun yellow pattern in the background). 

 
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed checking out our cheap finds.  Happy thrifting!

Follow This Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment