Friday, November 30, 2012

thinkin' sink.

Quick update:  Our closing date has been moved from this Monday coming up (Dec. 3rd) to two Fridays from now (Dec. 14th) Bah humbug. -- STILL better than waiting the standard 4 month minimum for a short sale though.  (yup, still in the spirit of being thankful and not sweating the small stuff)

Anyhoos..  Last night, I've made an Eek-inducing purchase, our new kitchen sink.  Ok ok, maybe that's a little dramatic, but I never realized how much sinks were (good ones at least) until I started doing some research.  And oh the options: fireclay, cast-iron, ceramic, stainless steel, granite, titan quartz, copper, undermount, apron-front... it's enough to make my head spin and re-think any of my prior decisions. 

But no matter what, I always knew that I wanted a classic glossy farmhouse sink to go with my new classic country kitchen (with subway tiles and white shaker style cabinets... swoon).  At least that narrowed my choices down to material.  

Although, this is not our first rodeo (ha, I've always wanted to say that) buying a kitchen sink , we did do minor renovations in our current kitchen, but it is an overwhelming process, regardless, especially since it's a totally different style than what we're used to.  Granted we LOVE our current sink, it is a very deep black Silgranite, but somehow that same style doesn't seem fitting in our new kitchen.  What I do want is the same durability and depth (i.e. let the dishes pile up and stay out of sight!).  And classic ceramic sinks don't seem to have the same durability rep with its tendency to chip and crack (or so I hear).  With my not so gentle washing methods and a very active toddler, I need something that'll last.  Not to mention that we would have to plan on custom cabinets for the sink to retrofit an apron front sink, something that we don't want to install more than once.  The pressure is definitely on.

Through the process of elimination, out went the classic fireclay and ceramic sinks (everyone seems to rave about a Shaw's original fireclay sink).  Fireclay is a bit more durable than ceramic, I still didn't want to take my chances.  I've also heard that cracks tend to occur with the standard use of a garbage disposal (vibrations + ceramics = cracks!) Cast iron, another gorgeous option, though durable, usually has a ceramic veneer that could also chip and crack over time. 

And as much as I loved our uber strong, and garbage disposal proof granite sink, it is much pricier in an apron front style than our last one (I'm talking several thousands and I'm bound to spend less than that, we only spent a couple hundred)  Besides, I wasn't sure if I was feeling the natural veins/patterns that comes with it.   What's a girl to do??

I now present you with.. Titan Quartz.  WTH is that, you say?  Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, until I read more on it.  It's a mineral composite material (eh, sounds like granite?), and it is extremely hard, stain and scratch resistant, has a smooth clean surface (classic look that I'm going for), heat resistant, and is garbage disposal safe.  Is this thing for real?? After all, I've never ever seen this anywhere. Guess I was thinkin' outside of the "big" box (stores).. Ha, someone stop me now.

Although I've never seen such a magical sink in person, my interest was piqued enough to plug in the credit card numbers and buy one site unseen. EEK! (see!)  But to calm those fears, my research proves that the brand itself is pretty reputable according to people's first hand experience in message boards and in the blogospheres (I can trust those guys, right??)

Anyway, here are the deets: 

West Brass Farmhouse Sink
30" Mitrani Titan Quartz Single Bowl Apron Sink

  •  Single Bowl Sink can be undermounted with a reversible fluted or smooth apron front with a lip. Available in white
Measures 29 3/4" x 20" x 9 7/8"
And I got it here with 10% off (their weekend special).  Though not cheap, this is by far the cheapest I've seen (with the discount).  We went with the single bowl (we currently have a double bowl that we mostly use one side of), and will probably use the smooth side vs. the fluted side --I do love that it is reversible though.  

One drawback, I have read that it isn't as glossy as a real ceramic sink --sad :(.  But in the long run, it's quiet (and satin finish) strength wins practicality points with this family.  It's also non-porous and can be easily cleaned and even waxed (turtle wax high gloss finish?? maybe)

Well, wish us luck, I'll post an update when my magical sink makes its way to our new house from the magical land of Narnia.. er, the manufacturers in New York.

Stay Tuned!


Follow This Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment