Monday, June 10, 2013

Beyond measure: Giant ruler growth chart

I have been a very bad blogger.  Very bad indeed.. beyond measure (1).

Not only did I promise multiple posts about all the wonderful going ons in our new house, I have also not blogged a lick in a few months time.  But life happens, what else can I say?

Well, I guess I will make no more promises and just blog when the mood strikes to lessen the pressure (pressure I created on myself, of course) The overwhelming amount of pictures I take of projects makes me less apt to post anything, strange enough.. all the organizing of photos, uploading.. Ain't nobody got time for that!

But I started this blog because I wanted to have some sort of journal to remember our progress and remember our house roots.  So I guess I'm not quite willing to abandon that yet, so here we are. (ahhh, too much sharing of feelings for a Monday morning... I apologize ..beyond measure (2))

Anyway, speaking of measures, I thought I'd post about a fun little pinterest project that I took on over the weekend.  I've been in constant search for a cute growth chart for the kiddos since they are growing so fast.  I searched online for something that is ready to purchase without having much luck with something that satisfies my inner interior decorating diva, so I looked to pinterest for some "pinspiration" (har, har).  Long story short, I found this..


I mean.. how CUTE is that!  

So I set off to make my own.  And as an added bonus, I just realized how much wood trim we had left over from our recent remodeling -- Wood trim that was original to the house!  Repurpose and a little bit of historical interest.. Score!

Off to the hardware store I went to pick up a can of black paint and some pre-made stencils.  I actually wanted to find a similar serif number font as my pinspiration photo, but convenience got the best of me and got construction looking stencils instead.  no biggie.

I also pulled out a black sharpie and a measuring tape and started making temporary tick marks with a pencil and taped down my stencils at the appropriate measures.  Easy peasy.

Then I realized that I picked up spray paint and thought the spray overage factor vs. stencil area was too high, so I decided to look for something to prevent this.  So I found some cardboard, cut a hole just big enough to reveal the numbered stencil but small enough to make sure that I wouldn't spray past the edges of the stencil.





The rest was pretty easy.  2 coats of spray paint later, I had this! (ok so my numbers aren't exactly a replica of a ruler starting at 2ft.  But I wanted to make sure that I can hang it about 2 ft. off the ground and my original trim wasn't very long, so..)


Of course, now we just needed those essential ruler tick marks.  I took my shiny black sharpie and started varying ticks (long ones reaching out to the number marks and smaller ones in between.)


Et Voila!  Giant ruler growth chart!

This project took approx. half an hour, so it was very easy.  If I were to use new wood from the hardware store, I probably would pick up some stain as well which would add to my total time, but since the trim already had a nice color to it, I decided to keep it that way.

OH I also forgot to mention, I would also suggest getting some picture hangers for the back of this and it shall be ready to hang.

I love how it turned out and love even more that this project was quick and easy on the budget.

I can't wait to start marking this up with the kiddos names and ages as they sprout up.  Best part is, if we ever decide to move, we can easily pack this up with us vs. marking the walls with all these essential measurements.

What have you guys used to measure your kids' heights?  Any other cool pinterest pinspirations out there?

Follow This Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment